Still scorned by many Captains, a career in salvaging has many advantages. It doesn't cost much to get started, though the basic equipment isn't as efficient as the more costly advanced versions.
How to get started
Salvaging is actually linked to Combat combat in many ways. For example, if you want to salvage ships, you might have to destroy some yourself. But the biggest common factor is your weapon skill. There are three weapon types; energy weapons, kinetic weapons, and plasma weapons. The skill most useful at the start is energy weapons, since then a full line of salvage cutters is available to you until you start thinking about expanse wrecks. However, if you've already made a choice to invest in kinetic weapons, then your carrier in salvaging is limited to salvaging wrecks. There are simply no kinetic salvage cutters for RAIDs or alien ships. Mind you, salvaging can still be useful, since you can still get resources from your kills.
There are two items involved in salvaging; scanners and cutters. Scanners tell you where the bits and pieces are of the ship that you want to salvage, cutters tear off pieces that you can tractor to your cargo hold.
The starting equipment is listed here:
|Salvaging type||Scanner||Cutter (Energy)||Cutter (Kinetic)||Cutter (Plasma)|
|Wrecks||Argo Salvage Scanner||Wreck Salvage Laser (Class A)||Wreck Salvage Drill (Class A)||N/A|
|RAIDs||None needed||Salvage Cutter (Type B)||N/A||N/A|
|Alien Derelicts||None needed||Alien Salvage Cutter Type C||N/A||N/A|
|Alien Wrecks||Entana Alien Salvage Scanner||N/A||N/A||Alien Ranorr Wreck Salvage Laser|
Better scanners will let you see more wrecks. Better cutters will get you more of a resources on each shot.
The Wide Spectrum scanners allow you to salvage wrecks that are not your own. Different versions exist for alien and non-alien wrecks.
- Investing more IP in weapon skill than absolutely necessary will not gain you any bonuses
- Investing more IP in Scan Tech, however, 'will' give you a bonus; it will increase the chance to find something on each salvage scan and the amount found.
Benefits of Salvaging
- A wide variety of resources are attainable through salvaging. Since each module you salvage has a different loot table, this sometimes provides a reliable location to get some otherwise randomly attained resources.
- Random events while salvaging also will yield ship items, such as weapons, reactors, shields, along with blueprints. This can be a fun and "cheap" (except for energy) way to upgrade your ship if you are starting out.
Negatives of Salvaging
- Salvaging is energy intensive, requiring 2 fuel per salvage scan. This mean every time you click on the salvage weapon you expend 2 fuel.
DOs and DON'Ts
- Use a Minos Transporter, it'll make your life easier
- Use your salvage cutter for combat. You will lose.